Monday, January 26, 2015

The Queen of Hearts

Just because I am normally a peace loving pacifist, don't think I've never wanted to bellow "Off with their heads!"

Thanks to the monthly art classes I attend and Penny Black stamps, I now have my own version of the Queen of Hearts. My instructor came up with the color palette that we used and drew the card that became the backdrop for our images.
The hearts on the card, the heart on her scepter and her monocle have Glossy Accents on them, making them 3-dimensional. I used a clear jelly roll pen on the hearts of her clothing. That affect is more subtle and does not show in the photos. The queen is slightly elevated from the card by pop dots.
I wasn't sure how I was going to use the queen. I love how she turned out and wanted her to hang around the house permanently, so a greeting card wasn't going to be her final destination. After fussy cutting the queen, I didn't want her on a surface where she was likely to be damaged so I opted for a shadow box frame. I mounted the card image on the papers as shown with the red measuring 5x7 inches, the size of the frame I would use.
I didn't think about the ledge inside the shadow box frame which completely covered the red paper. I wanted that bit of red to show, so the layers were taken apart and re-cut. Here she is in the frame.
I should have taken the glass out of the frame for the final photo but coulda, woulda, shoulda....you know how that goes. Don't be critical....don't make me raise my voice and bellow that famous command!




No comments: