I've been making baby gifts lately but haven't made anything with tags (taggies?) until these bibs. I used McCall's pattern 2468 but don't know if that is still available. I've had it for a while. I stopped after three bibs but could have kept going, ad libbing designs as one idea led to others.
The bee bib is pretty much as Simplicity intended. I used a bottle of glue as a template for the cheeks, cut two for each cheek, sewed them completely around the edge, then made a slit in the back to turn each check right side out before appliqueing in place. The mouth is machine satin stitch and the eyes were hand embroidered with perle cotton. The side tabs are a satiny ribbon, the neck is grosgrain. The pattern called for the eyes on any of the bibs to be a black button sewn over a larger white one. I don't like the idea of buttons on bibs as they can be a choking hazard.
The ribbons that I already had or bought for these bibs are all from Joann's, the type sold by the spool rather than by the yard. When I saw the pink ribbon with black dots that matched fabric I had, this flower was born.
My daughter-in-law has crab and lobster images in her kitchen so the crab bib was first on my to-do list.
I think I will make more bibs, both to have on hand here to use and some to be future baby shower gifts. They are quick to make and make me smile.