Sunday, May 17, 2015

Heirloom baby quilt

On May 8th, a healthy, beautiful granddaughter entered our lives. She and her mommy are doing well, as are her daddy (my older son) and her 5 year old brother.

Her arrival along with the urge to do some spring cleaning led to cleaning out the rooms that had been our two sons' rooms. Furniture was washed, polished and rearranged. Clothing that was gender neutral from the Prince of Sweetness has been laundered and put away for the Princess. I'm not sure what title she will have in future posts but I'm avoiding using their actual names.

Most items that I unpacked were fondly remembered. A few items weren't used by the Prince, but I remembered making them long before he was born, back when I was still capable of producing my own royal babies. One item came later and I had completely forgotten about it.

Sometime back in the mid-nineties, I attended heirloom sewing classes at the Martha Pullen school which at the time was held in a hotel in Alabama. While learning various heirloom sewing methods, we students each made a baby quilt. How could I have forgotten this? Out of sight, out of mind and busy with other things I guess.

Here it is, freshly washed and dried without any touch up ironing that a few appliques could use:
I am going to admit that some of my work is/was far less than perfect as are my photos. I should have waited for better lighting and possibly placed the quilt elsewhere. I won't point out which flaws are real and which are bad camera angles.
Closer views of the top row's squares from left to right:



Middle row, left to right:


And the bottom row:


My daughter-in-law is welcome to this but it may not be her style or she may think it is too fussy. It probably does seem that way by today's standards, but I would like a photo of the Princess with this. It is hers to do with as she pleases.

These sweaters weren't forgotten but were never worn. The white one, with the pattern and sheen in the wrap to the yarn,  didn't seem gender neutral after it was made. The pink sweater and hat was something I just wanted to make and was done after my baby making days were done.



No comments: