Sunday, July 26, 2015

RetireMints and a card

Yesterday was a surprise retirement party for our daughter-in-law's father. The dear man did not want a party but when you are loved by your wife, kids and extended family....you get a party. He was truly surprised and everyone had a good time.

I should not have rushed when cutting out the greeting for the top of the Altoid mint tin. The words are going a tad uphill but hey, don't we all want our retirement to be looking up? C'mon, work with me here....make lemonade out of that lemon!


In addition to the hang tag in his card, I wanted a pocket for placement of a gift certificate. I'd had the idea for over a week but didn't get around to making it until hours before the party. I'd like to say that this is the first time I was doing things at the last minute, but it isn't.


I scored an 8.5" x 11" piece of black cardstock as if I were cutting it to be a top fold A2 size, then cut away the upper right rectangle. I could have made the pocket fold in from the left instead of the right but flying by the seat of my pants, this is what I did. I cut the flap from the bottom corner upward at a random angle, wanting part of the word "Retired" to be visible while in the pocket. 


Not shown here, I used a white pen to write our greeting along the diagonal line of the pocket. 

No comments: