Thursday, July 9, 2015

Watermelon Birthday Card

I love watermelon designs but I'm actually not crazy about watermelon as a food.  Crazy, right?  I think it might be the color and that watermelons are associated with summer that makes me like them.

I used a die from Stephanie Barnard's Stamps of Life collection (Happy Birthday Step Up) and her stamp set (Watermelon2stamp), both shown below, to make my cards.
I made two identical cards for friends who have birthdays later this month. They are both "one in a melon" friends, making me a very lucky gal.

We're having overcast, drizzly and chilly weather again in SE Michigan. Photos were taken near a window to get some natural light, but still I struggled. The first photo shows best the structure of the card.
The gingham paper on the Happy Birthday is a little busy, but I think it works well with the colors.
The card fits in a standard A2 envelope, seen here behind the card against a black surface.
I stamped the large watermelon slice with a very juicy Stampin' Up Watermelon Wonder stamp. The rind is SU's Cucumber Crush. The small slices (six in a row, two cut off to fit the area) were stamped in Memento's Tuxedo Black and colored with Tombow markers.

I have used the card die many times since buying it months ago and think this stamp set will get a lot of use too, especially if I ever get around to working on scrapbooks again.

No comments: