Sunday, October 11, 2015

Hogs and Kisses

Last weekend I learned how to make a card that could hold a gift card or cash. My Stampin' Up demonstrator taught this and I knew it was a card I would make more than once.

There are many tutorials available online that feature this or something very similar, often called a pop up gift card holder. This particular card began with a strip of double sided paper, cut at 5.25" x 8 3/8".  Score lines are at 2.25", 3.25", 4.25" and 8.25". The basic card below was done in class so I don't have step by step photos, nor do I have permission to use the directions that were given to us. If you are a card maker or a frequent viewer of Pinterest, you can probably figure out the how, where and why of this. 

I stuck my WW card in place to how you where a gift card would go. That flap has double-sided tape at the bottom holding it together. If you taped at the mountain crease, you wouldn't be able to insert a card or cash. We used the Word Window punch to create the opening but other punches or just a scissor cut would work. 


The notches on the other flap were made to hold the card closed. To close it more securely, an additional embellishment (such as the one I used on the belly band) could be attached to the flap between those notches, placed so that it overlapped the left side flap of the card. I made a belly band instead. At the time I left the class, I did not have an inside greeting or exterior embellishment. I didn't know when or how I would use this card.


I don't want to admit that I'm sometimes a procrastinator so let's just assume I had an extremely busy week and that is why I didn't make a gushy anniversary card for my son and daughter-in-law. Actually, gushy cards aren't my style.  I really had been looking for ideas and pondering various phrases and images but nothing felt right to me.

Early in the week, I was at my favorite scrapbooking store for Copic Club taught by Amy. I found these stickers (Mrs Grossman) and thought the color would work with the paper. I used Stampin' Up circle and scallop circle punches to dress up the belly band, and on the inside, the Happy Anniversary is part of Stampin' Up's Teeny Tiny Wishes set of stamps. The Hogs & Kisses is from Stephanie Barnard's (Stamps of Life) PiggyBank2Stamp set.



No comments: