Friday, September 9, 2016

Why do we craft?

The answer probably varies a bit from person to person, but I think there is a common reason for why we do what we do.
We make things out of love for the recipient.
We make things to be unique.
We make things to save money. Okay, sometimes that is a joke....refusing to spend $4.99 on a greeting card while spending $24.99 on a set of stamps and a die might not be ample justification.
We make things because we enjoy making them.
Anniversary card for hubby (41 years!) Image is from Art Impressions, Love Thing.

Sometimes we make things because we just have to, period.
 
Balloon is from Stampin' Up's Celebrate today die set. Inside, also from SU is Party Pop-Up 

I don't think my knitting, sewing, card making or painting reflects my moods. Unlike Picasso, if I have a blue period, it is because I really like the color or maybe the type of yarn or fabric was only available in that color. I don't pick a color because it consciously reflects my mood. I'm either not very deep or so deep that I come close to the surface on the other side. I like light. I like bright. I like whimsy. And I like to ramble but I'm reeling myself in...
Cupcake stamp and die Sprinkles of Life by Stampin' Up

I'm not taking classes right now due to other commitments and conflicts in schedules but it turns out, there is a lesson to be learned in not taking lessons! Don't misunderstand me...I love taking classes and always learn something, but I've realized that I was so busy with classes and ongoing social events (book club for example isn't a class) that almost everything I was making and reading was to meet a deadline.
What's Up? stamp set by Avery Elle

Since unexpected events disrupted my scheduled events, I've been knitting, reading, painting and making cards for no reason other than doing so feels good. My instructors and circles of friends in these various activities certainly don't put pressure on me, it was the student of long, long ago that stood up within me and told me to get things done and get them done right!
Flowers cut with Stampin' Up's Botanical Builder dies after paper was randomly painted with water colors. Background Stitched Lattice is a die by Kaisercraft.  

I shut her up with Washi tape and if that doesn't hold, I have needle and thread ready.
 
Gopher It! by Gerda Steiner Designs 

I'd show you my knitting but it is a confusing mess while on the needles. I would say it is getting close to completion but I don't want to jinx myself.  Meanwhile, one last design that I really, really like:
Pegboard Coverup and Tool Time, both by Die-Namics

Wherever you are in life, have some fun. Smile at others. You might make them feel better and you will definitely look better and begin to feel better if you think and act positive. If you have the creative bug, go ahead...feed it and play with it. 

No comments: