Thursday, July 19, 2018

Kool Aid kid became a card maker

What happens when a Kool-Aid kid grows up and likes to make crafts? She becomes a Kool-Aid embosser!
I didn't create this technique and don't remember where I first saw it. I mixed dry Kool-Aid from the packet with embossing powder. I didn't measure, but I'd guess that I used a 1 to 3 or maybe 1 to 4 ration of Kool-Aid to embossing powder. The Kool-Aid isn't there to emboss, it is there to add a scent.

I used the lemon slice and wedge stamp first on white paper (lower left, upper two images). They are from Stamps of Life. That didn't leave much Kool-Aid on the paper as the images were outlines. Same thing with the stamp from Inky Antics on that same piece of paper. On those attempts, I used yellow embossing powder, lemon Kool-Aid, and yellow ink on the stamp.
I added white embossing powder to the yellow in a small paper cup and added a bit more Kool-Aid before stamping on light yellow cardstock. It still didn't look right to me so I added white pencil to the areas between the segments and yellow pencil on the segments. Better, but not truly lemony and not much area for scent.
I tried using a thick white embossing powder next, the upper right image in the group photo. I don't know if I held the heat too long in the area that looks like crystals have burned or if that was a clump of Kool-Aid that wasn't evenly mixed with embossing powder. 
I got out a strawberry stamp, also from Stamps of Life, stamped the large and small berry with Stampin' Up Real Red ink, then embossed with a mixture of clear embossing powder that has a bit of sparkle in it with strawberry Kool-Aid. I used a white gel pen for the spots on the berry but they are a bit lost. The scent is much better because of the larger surface area.
I could probably turn the strawberry panel into a card but I want to work on the seeds first. Maybe a paint pen is the answer. 

What I like about the scents created with Kool-Aid is that there is a hint of the fruit smell, not an overwhelming cloud of it hitting you in the face like the candle or oil aisle in some stores.

I have grape, orange and tropical punch to play with and I'm suddenly thinking rainbows and unicorns. With a 3-year old granddaughter, this sounds perfect!
When we extend this product to become a craft supply, we'll never outgrow our need for Kool-Aid!

1 comment:

Chatty Crone said...

That will be perfect - she will love the craft.