Monday, August 31, 2015

Terrence Frederick, tree frog

I've been taking online classes with Amy at Vanilla Arts.  Would I have colored a tree frog before this assignment? Probably not. Tree frogs aren't something I typically think about.

What made this assignment an interesting challenge? If you been coloring in any form from crayon to paint or maybe even just playing with your makeup, you can probably get a blended transition of pink to red or yellow to orange. Those colors are neighbors on the color wheel. The challenge is getting purple to go to yellow orange without a murky middle ground or a straight line of demarcation. The frog isn't wearing socks and gloves so a line of purple meets orange isn't going to work.

Another challenge is how to show shading and muscle tone on his white tummy? I don't know if frogs have "six-packs" but that frog is in better shape than I am, and I doubt he is a weight watcher member. On the other hand, I don't want to know how many weight watcher points are in flies.


The frog was colored with Copic markers and Prismacolor pencils on X-Pressit paper. The background is a combination of water based inks from stamps, water, and spray bottles of alcohol ink on watercolor paper.

Kermit said it wasn't easy being green, possibly because he didn't have such colorful limbs.

No comments: