Friday, January 22, 2016

Four Fold Card with Spinner

This card is based on instructions found here at Dawn's Stamping Thoughts  Her directions are clear. Scroll down on that page for her video tutorial.

The card uses 4 pieces of cardstock cut at 5.5 x 4.25 inches, the black paper seen here. The turquoise paper (again, 4 pieces) is cut at 5.25 x 4 inches. I used oval dies to cut the openings and to cut the oval frames from black glitter paper. The one thing I did differently from Dawn's directions was to apply glue to the cardstock rather than the back of the frame pieces. This was easier for me, perhaps because the glitter paper (scrap, unknown source) was very thin and flimsy.




Here is what I like and don't like about this first attempt:

I love the concept. It was an easy card to assemble and potentially very impressive. It will fit in a standard envelope for mailing. By not using a patterned paper in the turquoise areas, I can add embellishment or write greetings.

The only difficult part is lining up the frame over the opening. I suspect that if I had cut the frame out of cardstock, there may have been less trouble. The glittery paper I used is so thin, it was almost like working with knit fabric that moves around on you. Obviously paper doesn't stretch, but lining it up and holding it in place with wet glue gave me a less than perfect result. The last view and the closeup below are the first frames that I glued in place. See how the white backing of the frame on the opposite side of this opening shows?  I can't cut that. Not only would it be awkward to get in there and make a smooth cut, the frame's dimensions on the other side would be off. I will use a fine tip black marker on it to make it less noticeable.


The wording and image are both from Art Impressions, a set called Live Laugh Love. I used a combination of Tombow markers and Prismacolor pencils to color the ladies. Their earrings look dull here but were done with metallic ink pens.

Okay, hours later I am back with updated photos. The black marker solved my white paper problem. I didn't have an embellishment that pleased me so I used a Tim Holtz stencil and Copic multiliner pen to add some flourishes.





Here is an overhead shot of the card


I'm much happier now. This evening's photos show the true color of the card cardstock. 

No comments: