Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Am I a Geek? Nerd? How about Organized?

Is there a difference between geeks and nerds? I googled that question and found this information from "Are You a Geek or a Nerd? The Difference Really Is in the Data" by Laurie Vazquez. Purple text below are quotes from that article found here.

The words "nerd" and "geek" are often used interchangeably, as if they mean the same thing. They actually don't.
  • geek - An enthusiast of a particular topic or field. Geeks are “collection” oriented, gathering facts and mementos related to their subject of interest. They are obsessed with the newest, coolest, trendiest things that their subject has to offer.
  • nerd - A studious intellectual, although again of a particular topic or field. Nerds are “achievement” oriented, and focus their efforts on acquiring knowledge and skill over trivia and memorabilia

  • Confused? I am.  The article goes on to say that collections are geeky, academic fields are nerdy. Toys are geeky but Sudoku is nerdy.  I'm still confused and without a label. I am geeky about my collection of stamps, dies, embossing folders and all things related to paper arts (not mentioning other crafts today) and nerdy about organizing them in databases. Also, I play Sudoku daily. 

    I have a lot of supplies. My problem was not that I couldn't find a particular stamp set made by Lawn Fawn that I knew I owned.  My problem came when planning a card or other paper craft that would possibly use more than one set. I had a binder with small photos of my stamp sets for inventory purposes, but sometimes the image was so small, I couldn't read some of the phrases on the stamps. My other problem is that sometimes I see a stamp or die that I really like and I sit on the fence. Do I really need it? I go back and forth, often deciding I don't but maybe I relent when a new reason arises why I need it . I still may talk myself out of it. That isn't the problem, it is when I unexpectedly find it in a store (especially if on sale!) and can't remember if I bought it and haven't used it yet or did I talk myself out of it again? My previous storage system and inventory lists weren't anything available on my phone.
    Thanks to Pinterest, I am now using Evernote. The Basic version is free which is a big plus if you are interested in trying this out. Here is a link to one woman's blog about using Evernote for her craft supplies.  Evernote is for whatever you want to organize and have notes, reminders and much more than I am even aware of at the moment.

    There are many written examples of people using Evernote as well as YouTube clips. I am really impressed. I come from a background of using Access, a database program that used to automatically be included in Microsoft Office Suites but databases have fallen by the wayside I guess. It cost me much more to get the software that included Access the last time I had to purchase Office.

    I feel better about things when I'm organized. You might look at my desk or craft room and find that hard to believe when a project is underway, but there is an underlying structure to my mess. It works for me. If you want keep an inventory of products or ideas, maybe Evernote will work for you.




    1 comment:

    Teri S. said...

    Thank you for that tip. I'm going to check it out. I'm pretty organized, but have yet to categorize my stamp sets as I don't really know how to go about it. So, when I want something, I go through every stamp set to find it. Time consuming & wasting.