Saturday, March 10, 2018

Brusho Crystals on embossed images

Today's post is dedicated to my Stampin Up buddies. It is easier to write here than where we often exchange info, and I will be able to find this again when needed.

I'm on a roll today. I have had Brusho Crystals long before SU began selling them. I thought I'd show you what some of the other colors do. I have a stamp called cheesecloth. I embossed that design in white and sprinkled on just a little black. You'd be surprised at all of the colors that come out of black!

This small amount of crystals when lightly spritzed with water resulted in the mess or creation on the right.
   
A little more proved to be too much for what I was I hoping to achieve. I blotted up the standing water with paper towel. The cheesecloth look is coming through nicely.
   
The previous pictures just used black crystals. Here I've added OST Blue, spritzed with water and blotted.
   
I tried adding yellow, both by sprinkling and by painting some on using that small amount of color on the left tile and one wet brush made the puddle on the right.  Yellow wasn't very successful. When the other colors got wet, they reactiviated and the yellow turned greenish or brownish.
   
My last experiment was to add some Ranger Distress Glaze. I thought it might seal the colors and brighten things up. I'm not sure yet that it did either but in wiping off the excess, it did lift more of the color.  I should have stated at the beginning that I always cover up as much of my work area as possible and wear an old cardigan style thin sweatshirt to protect my clothing. Those crystals get everywhere, much like glitter that floats around. These tiny spots on my counter could be a problem with my next project or clothing if either the counter, the project or my clothing is damp.
   
I'm thinking of how to use this background in something. Stay tuned for those details. Meanwhile, here is a more controlled approach. The stamp is Rose Wonder from Stampin' Up. After embossing the image in white, I wet the leaves on one side of the rose with water and sprinkled on Leaf Green. Leaf Green is like black in that it is surprising how many colors are within that shade. It moved around a bit on its own and I coaxed it to fill the leaf sections with a wet brush. It is a pretty color but I don't know that I would call that leaf green. 
Next I dampened the rose and sprinkled on OST Red. The OST stands for Ostwald, a color class that I've only seen in Brusho lately. 
I liked this but wanted a bit more contrast in the petals with another color. I dampened some areas of the rose and added yellow crystals.
   
I did the other leaf the same way, then added water to sections of the background and sprinkled on a different shade of yellow, Lemon. To make the background a bit more interesting and to disguise the errant crystals from the leaves and rose that bloomed in the yellow, I added a few sprinkles of those colors. This will be cut down and used in a card at some point. 







1 comment:

Teri S. said...

Wow, that rose turned out beautifully! I love the look of Brushos too, but don't have any. Yet... :)