Sunday, March 18, 2018

Playing with alchohol.....inks, not drinks!

I have an assortment of alcohol inks that haven't been used since a Christmas ornament project a few years ago. After some Pinterest and blog cruising, I was inspired to buy some Yupo (a synthetic paper that is good for this technique) and play.

I began by dropping three colors onto dry paper.
Next, I dropped Blending Solution (alcohol) onto some areas to get the large, light rings that you see here. I had rubbing alcohol in a small spritzer and lightly added that from a distance above the paper. I liked that effect.
Barely visible is my attempt to add silver leaf to some of the areas where the ink was thicker and still damp. That didn't work well for me but I really liked the bold colors and decided to try a variation.
For this one, I used the same colors but dampened the Yupo by spritzing it rather heavily before applying the alcohol inks.
I added red ink and used a drinking straw to blow some of the puddles around. This made me think of Chihuly's glass at the Bellagio in Las Vegas (photo at end of post)
I liked the effect left by the sprtizer so I did that again on top of the colors.
I wasn't working on large areas and I am mainly a card maker these days. Were these going to be too busy to use as backgrounds? Maybe. I could always use them to cut flowers from dies and make some interesting embellishments.  I cut each piece down to work on a standard card and have saved the leftovers for more experiments.

The die used to create this flower within a square opening is Cosmo Flower Frame by Simon Says Stamp. My plan was to emboss the birthday greeting on the black card in white. You know what happens with intentions, right? I didn't grab the white embossing powder, I picked up the glow in the dark powder and applied it before I realized my mistake. The pennant greeting will have to do.
I haven't decided if black or white looks best over these bold colors. They are prettier in person as the background has a sheen to it. They are very vibrant.
For those not familiar with the work of Dale Chihuly, here is an example of his wonderfully colored glass. I believe this still hangs in the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas.

1 comment:

Teri S. said...

Greetings from the west coast of Canada. Every time I see something done with Alcohol inks, I think, I "gotta get me some of them". :) Your cards with the die cut flower are so incredibly beautiful. While I like them both a lot, I think the black flower gives it a bit more "pop". Thanks for inspiring me to spend more $. lol