Saturday, February 2, 2019

Happy February

I've just changed a profile picture, the background and header here, and I've rearranged the living room. Why? Winter-itis, or as one friend suggested, I'm controlling what little I can. I think she hit the nail on the head.

My part of Michigan was having an easy winter until this past Monday. The polar vortex business was bad news but it was worse elsewhere so I'm trying not to complain about it. I did have a frozen pipe at the kitchen sink. It is an outside wall and to make matters worse, the exterior area is a corner that seems to like to collect north wind. I leave cabinet doors open under the sink in bitter weather but that was not enough this week. It has been at least 15 years since I had to use a hairdryer to thaw a pipe. This week was worse. When I didn't get a relatively quick result with that, I put a heater inside the cabinet. It took nearly an hour which was 20 minutes past my comfort zone. I don't think I'm an impatient person. My problem is uncertainty. How long is too long? When is it time to call in help?

Rearranging the living room worked off that tension and moved where I usually sit away from an outside wall.  I hate winter despite not wanting to leave Michigan. I'm so complex! 

What am I doing to get through the winter days?  In no particular order of priority or preference, I am knitting a long scarf. It will be loooooong.

I am doing color charts for three types of colored pencils (each has a different attribute, I'll spare you a lecture) and Copic markers. The charts below are just the pencils. I primarily work on white, but it is good to know how the colors will look on kraft paper (beige) and other mid-tones, and then on black. This is homework for online classes I will be taking. This was going to be simple. Ha! While not difficult, this represents over 7 hours of work. 
The current book I am reading is this one:
Most of my TV viewing lately is either YouTube videos from cardmakers and artists or Acorn TV, a subscription channel that has programming from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Click the Acorn link if you'd like to know more about it. There aren't many American network shows that I watch anymore.

My unintentional but frequent hobby is blocking phone numbers on both my landline and cell phone. If this was exercise, I'd be positively svelte by now!

One reason I won't be svelte anytime soon is this gift from neighbors. Chinese New Year is this Tuesday, February 5th.

 
Is there a meaning behind French Cookies with Chinese packaging arriving on Groundhog's Day? I think there is. I think I am supposed to make another pot of coffee, turn the TV on to Acorn, pick up my knitting and enjoy both the cookies and thoughtful neighbors!

No comments: