Monday, September 2, 2019

Home facelifts and lunchbox notes

Summer is passing way too quickly. I understand that most of us love one or two seasons, tolerate a third and wish the fourth was only a week long. For me, summer is my love and winter would be best shortened to three days bracketing Christmas.

The kitchen is done and I am enjoying it, keeping it clean by cooking as little as possible. 😉
As I said in my last post, the changes began because the boxy microwave from 1983 wasn't going to last forever and new ones weren't going to fill the old space. The new cabinet over this slimmed-down microwave had to be recessed to allow for the circulating fan at the top of the unit to work. I am pleased with how this looks.

New quartz counters were something my husband and I had talked about and was on a to-do list that didn't have a deadline. The previous counter, backsplash, and area behind the stove and refrigerator where all Formica. I wanted something simple....and then I fell in love with this accent tile.

While waiting for this to be installed, I found this lamp that will be used when I want a bit of mood lighting in the kitchen, such as when I invite people over for McDonald's or a $5 pizza. 😉 I liked the lamp so much, I bought a second one that is currently on the hutch.


The bathroom facelift consisted of new cabinets, elimination of a medicine cabinet with a simple wall mirror in its place,  new flooring and the toilet reinstalled after sitting in the living room over Easter.


I love the mirror. It came from At Home. The glass shelf below it was an Amazon order. The medicine cabinet had a shelf under it where I often used alphabet blocks to spell out holiday greetings. The white shelf is a picture ledge. I received a long black one last Christmas that is in my office and loved it so much, I knew I wanted this for the bathroom. I can change art without adding new holes in the wall or forcing an arrangement to fit the existing nail holes. 

As my grandkids prepare to start school (tomorrow for my granddaughter in preschool, Wednesday for my grandson in fourth grade) I've been making "lunchbox notes" for their daddy (my eldest son) to put in their backpacks. My grandson, the Prince of Sweetness as I called him in my previous blog, and my grandgirl, Princess Gogo, will get these on random days until/unless I hear that they don't enjoy them. Hers don't have words because of her age but they do have little hearts, mostly pink because that is her favorite color at the moment. I have more to make when I leave here. Crafting makes me happy and can't we all use a little more peace and happiness?


No comments: