Friday, October 10, 2014

Calavera / Sugar Skull

A true Calavera is a representation of a human skull in clay or sugar. These items are used in the Mexican celebration Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead).

Once upon a time I may have found these creepy but I've learned about this celebration and as someone who loves to celebrate everything, my mindset had been turned around.

On a recent trip to Michaels I saw thin, wood, laser cut skull images for a dollar. One came home with me. While painting the canvas for yesterday's sunflower, I base coated the skull in white on both sides. I'm not aware of any significance in color or design choices, I just plunged ahead this morning, doodling away.

One side is simply black Sharpie fine point marker, the other has Prismacolor Markers in addition to the black Sharpie.



Normally I like color, but I think I like the black and white one better. I'm not sure where this will go yet, and if my 4 year old grandson doesn't like it, it may not appear until he is older. His daddy, my son, has a yard full of Halloween decor that doesn't bother my Prince of Sweetness, so this probably won't phase him at all.

As I look at this, I have another thought. If he doesn't like it, I can spray paint it gold and call it CP3O with facial piercings. 


No comments: