Saturday, October 13, 2018

Alivia Shawl

I like knitting shawls. They are nice accents to an outfit, especially for people like me who are cold before anyone else around them. I am pretty sure I was supposed to be born on a tropical island but was birthed on a peninsula instead. Michigan is a pretty big peninsula and I'm not complaining. If my parents had lived in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula), I'd either have thicker skin or would complain a lot more!

The pattern name is Alivia, designed by Vanessa Smith. It is available here on Ravelry . I used two balls of Berroco Folio yarn, knitting until I ran out of yarn. By that I mean, I knit beyond the suggested number of pattern repeats. The yarn is 65% superfine alpaca, 35% rayon. It feels heavenly. I blocked this without pinning it except for the point that I didn't want to curl. The next time I block it, I may stretch and pin it to see what the dimensions could be. As is, they are a bit more than 5 feet wide and just short of 3 feet in depth at the point. 
 I could use more blocking tiles. Hmmm, guess that should go on my Christmas suggestion list.
Extreme close up of the border pattern. The entire center of the shawl is garter stitch. The border is a 12 row repeat. Even rows of the 29 stitch borders are purled except for the two edge stitches.
I haven't mastered selfies on timers. Obviously. 
This was really a nice shawl to make and I know I will wear it often.  


For those of you who have met Bonita, she likes it too. She looks remarkably like me. Except for the lack of gray hair. And she doesn't wear glasses to read. Or to see anything. And she is a bit thinner.

1 comment:

Chatty Crone said...

Cute on the skeleton - gorgeous on you. You are so talented I am so jealous.