Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Gingers, Huggers and Snowflakes

Sounds like it could be a political commentary, doesn't it? It isn't. I'm in my happy place, making things, not ripping people apart over politics.

First off, allow me to introduce you to Hip Ginger, a stamp and die set from Simon Says Stamp
I fussy cut mine while sitting with friends who were also working on Christmas paper crafts. I stamped the gingerbread men and their accessories on colored cardstock and assembled them onto cardstock that will become gift tags. I added a bit of colored pen or pencil embellishment to a few and used a black gelly roll pen on the eyeglass frames. I decided they needed eyes rather blank circles, so I I colored irises with a black Copic multiliner and added white glints to their eyes with a gelly roll pen. A twisted red and white cord was added to complete these tags.  
Here is a close up of one of the gingerbread men. 

Next up is Woodland Critter Huggers, a die set from Lawn Fawn. I also used Winter Add-ons for the Critter Huggers, also by Lawn Fawn. The basic set gives you the animal body parts, the add-ons provided the hat, scarf, mittens and small items that the animals could hold. The die set illustration shows the raccoon, fox and deer. The pig and cow were ideas I used from Jess Crafts.
The dozen below are going to be a gift to a friend who I hope will like them for her family members. The critter arms can hold a small piece of wrapped candy, such as a Hershey Nugget, a York pattie, etc or a candy cane. They can also hold a gift card. 

Last but not least, here are my snowflakes. They are made from three layering dies from Birch Press Design. This set is called Glitz Snowflake Layer Set
I've only made them in these color combinations so far but plan to do more. I was asked if they were difficult to line up. Not at all. The secret is to begin with a good quality cardstock that has some body to it.  Less expensive, thin cardstock doesn't release well from the die. I used glue on these, lining up the center opening and then one series of three small circles on one arm of the snowflake. That lined everything else up well. I haven't decided on a card for them yet, but I think it will be a plain card with a simple greeting inside. One snowflake will fill up the front of a standard card and mail easily. I will attach a hanging chord, securing it to the inside of the card. Recipients can add these to packages or perhaps hang them in a window or on a tree.