Saturday, October 10, 2015

Book Club Decorations

A few of my knitting friends and I are avid readers. While we do mention what we're reading while at our knitting sessions, we don't get into deep discussions about the books. That is what a book club is for, so we began one this month. The inaugural meeting was here last Monday.

Back in June, I wrote about making these crepe paper flowers from a kit. Using more of the stem pieces and paper that looks like it came from a dictionary, I made these flowers:


I had enough paper to make more flowers but I was running short on time. They looked fine among the food on the table, tall enough and large enough to be noticed without being in the way.

I also made these cute little "books" from Hershey Nuggets. 


Do you know what is wrong with "cute" food? Nobody wants to disturb it. Nothing like being a Weight Watcher member with lots of leftover candy on the table! 
You can find dimensions on other blogs but I think you may want to experiment and find what works best for you. For a ballpark measurement, I'd suggest your page strips be 1" wide and close to 4" long. The "cover" of the book started out at 1.5" x 2.25". I trimmed the sides after the candy was attached because I thought the cover was too large. 

I don't know if the shiny paper on the candy was the problem or if the tape dispenser and later glue dots just weren't cooperating, but in the end I used double sided tape by Sookwang. Many of the original directions don't tell you to crease the white page strip, but that is what worked best for me.


 

I removed the backing on one side of the tape at a time, wrapping it around one candy, including the underside,



I snugged the second candy up against the finished half before rolling the page strip over.


One piece of tape was enough to hold the candies onto the open cover of the book.


If you don't want to write on your blank pages, a strip of ribbon or a sliver of colored paper would be a cute book mark to add.


I printed the name of our book club on the left candy and the book title on the right. I goofed on the title...the book was Orphan Train, a Novel by Christina Baker Kline. I mistakenly wrote "The Orphan Train".  Thankfully the book club members are all pacifists and nobody shot me.

No comments: