Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Diorama Anniversary Card

I goofed while making this and didn't keep my notes, but I do have the basic directions. The folds and center panel of this diorama card are made the same was as this card described on my previous blog. If you've made "card in a box" designs before where the card looks like an open box with items sticking out of the top, you'll recognize this card's assembly, especially in the third photo. 

I started out with the front and back pieces cut at 3" by 8.5".  Each strip of paper was scored at 2" from both ends. That becomes the sides of this box. 

I messed up every possible way on my first attempt of this card, including putting the adhesive strips to attach the front piece of card stock to the back (bottom). This wouldn't matter if the same paper was used for both front and back, but the card is pushed over flat to mail (see the last photo) and it just didn't look right to me seeing plain paper sides with the front panel which was a printed paper in my first attempt. 

My original opening was punched out with circles, but I didn't like that look. I tried a label die with scrolls on the ends but it just didn't fit the size of the paper well and I didn't want to re-draft the dimensions. The paper cutter I use is from Stampin Up but other brands are equally handy when it comes to cutting out a window within a piece of paper. 

After scrapping my first attempt, I decided to use white card stock and do some all over stamping on the front piece and on the inner panel. The dimensions of that inner panel are 3" by 6.5" and each end is scored at 1" so that it sits in the middle of the depth of the finished box. 

I used a Stampin Up stamp called Something Lacy but I messed up on that too. I didn't get a clear impression so I turned it over and stamped again. The back side of this inner window doesn't look bad, but the flaps bugged me so I cut paper used in one of the birds to make strips to cover up the ugliness. The stamp used on the front of the card was a large one that I've had for many years. The name and maker are long forgotten. I used a variety of small ink pads from Ranger to color the stamp before applying it to the paper.

I don't always make envelopes to go with handmade cards but this card seemed to call for it.

I will use this technique again but will change it up a bit. I will make the window on the inner layer slightly smaller so that it is more visible. I think embellishments on both the outer and inner windows could make an interesting composition, especially if the overlap the openings a bit. 

Back to my beginning comment about not keeping my notes:  This card wasn't cut at the dimensions listed, it is a bit smaller. I thought 2" sides were too deep so I cut them to be 1.5" deep. That means the front and back were cut at 3" x 8" and scored 1.5" from each end. The inner piece of card stock remained at 3" x 6.5" but was scored at .75" from each end. 

Anytime dimensions are changed, math can be scary so I'll put it his way: Three inches is the height of the card. If you want a taller card, cut all three pieces of paper at that number. Decide how wide you want the face of the card and how deep you want the sides. The face is 5" on my card and each side is 1.5" deep.  5" + 1.5" + 1.5" = 8"  To make the inner panel fit at half the depth of this card, the measure for the face needs to remain the same and the sides need to be half of whatever you chose for the depth of your card. 5" + .75" + .75" = 6.5"

If I wanted to fit a 4" x 6" photo on the inside of the card with a depth of 1.5", I would cut the front and back strips at 4" x 9"  (4" is the height, the width is 1.5" + 6"+ 1.5" = 9") and the inner panel would be cut at 4" x 7" ( .75" + 6" + .75" = 7.5")

No comments: