Thursday, April 19, 2018

Impossible Cards, a style not a statement

I've discovered I can watch YouTube on the living room TV which was nice while I was suffering from a cold and camped out on the couch. I found a card technique that seems to be growing in popularity day by day. I can't take credit for the designs and will link to the blogs and videos that I've watched. I'm here to tell you that these cards are really easy, come together quickly and your friends  (especially those who make cards but haven't seen this yet) are going to be impressed to find out that this card is cut from one sheet of paper without being pieced together! Only the embellishments are glued on.

The card can be made any size you like. If you make an odd size, just be prepared to make an envelope for it.
This first link is for an A2 size Impossible Card by Dawn Griffith  The link includes dimensions on Dawn's blog plus a video of making the card.

Here is an example I made using Stampin' Up card stock, designer paper and floral punches with birds and a sentiment from Lawn Fawn's Love Letters stamp set.  Most people are going to look at this usual shape and declare there is no way that came the blue base doesn't have more that one piece of blue paper somehow attached.

The first place that I saw this card was on Maymay Made It.  There are links on her YouTube post to her blog with her measurements and additional videos and blog posts explaining how she makes this in various sizes. She created templates for the sizes so that she won't be marking and measuring future cards. She also rotated the orientation in a more recent video so that the part that stands up is portrait rather than landscape.

Here is another link to give you more ideas to spur your imagination: Mixed Up Craft

Oddly enough (unless you know me personally), I did not start out with the simplest version of this card. After watching the YouTube from Mixed Up Craft, I went to another of hers and saw this Triple Twist Impossible Card. I had no problem making the card below but I did manage to screw up making the envelope twice before I got that right.

Other than the dimensions and extra cuts made on the triple twist, the only difference in my cards is that the first one isn't mounted on a separate base. The anniversary card began with black cardstock and was glued to green for stability reasons.

Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

Cranky and Difficult said...

Just discovered your blog and am following you! LOVE crafts and am already excited at the craft ideas I've just scanned on your page. Going to read more now and looking forward to many great posts like this!

Chatty Crone said...

Like I have told you before - you can do anything. I love those cards. Amazing.

Knitty said...

Thank you, both.