Sunday, April 22, 2018

Spinner Square Pop-up

Karen Burniston does an amazing job of engineering dies that do fun things for cardmakers. Click here to visit her site and see her video of this mechanism in action on a card she made.  I've had this die set for a while but haven't taken the time to experiment with it. I plan to make another card, perhaps without the window on the front which will make some design and color choices easier.

All of the paper choices here except for the circles under the matted cup are Stampin' Up. The card base is Wisteria Wonder, not a favorite color of mine, but it does coordinate well with the teabag paper inside.  I wasn't sure if this first attempt was going to produce a useable card so I didn't select my favorite colors. Does everyone else hoard their favorite colors and embellishments until they feel sure they are going to work?
The stamp set is from Simon Says Stamp, #SSS101695, Coffee and Tea, done with colored pencils.
The directions for assembling the mechanism and how to add it to the card were easy to follow.
Karen also gave tips on how she cut the window, lining up the opening so that it would be centered over the inside image which does not make it centered on the card front. I used an old Martha Stewart die to cut the lace-like strip on the front of the card, cutting that strip in half so that I could line up the straight edge with the square frame around the window. I don't remember where the tiny floral embellishments (not quite sequins) are from.
 This clip shows the how the tea bag pops out from hiding.

I'll be trying another Karen Burniston die for my granddaughter's birthday card soon. She will be 3 next month. She informed yesterday that I need to bring a card that says Happy Birthday and I will need to eat cake. I can handle that!

2 comments:

Cranky and Difficult said...

Love this!! Great post!

likeschocolate said...

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!